Kamal Kadai experiments

Atlast!! Picked up needle'n thread after a long long time... :) and yeah,it felt good...mmmmm

For a while, I have been thinking of trying Kamal Kadai on shapes other than the traditional ones. Kamal Kadai or Navar work is a needle weaving technique and is quite popular in India.You can find a couple of tutorials on basic Kamal Kadai and beaded Kamal Kadai in the sidebar of this blog.

Most of the floral designs in this method follow the basic step petal pattern shown below and that's what I was looking to change.





Needle weaving involves weaving on straight lines.These lines cannot follow curves.Now how do I fill a curved area?

After a bit of trial and error, I ended up doing this...


I outlined the shape with back stitch and then filled the inside with the foundation lines. From the back stitched outline, I weaved over and under in the usual manner. In this case, the outline too was considered as a foundation line and I always passed the needle over and under the backstitch or vice versa. It looked good!!


This the first of my many trials. Although happy with the filling part, every time I looked at the overall pattern, I felt it lacked something.

After looking at it,walking across it umpteen times,pondering over it,I decided to redo this pattern with a few changes... But about that,not now... in the next post...

Till then,
Love,luck and sunshine,
Deepa


Comments

  1. Glad you're feeling better, Deepa! I love that flower with the squarish petals. I clicked and saw that you wrote about it before I found your blog. Thanks for showing us your experiments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful stitch and your trial of embroidering curves is coming out well. Happy to know that you are feeling healthy enough to experiment with embroidery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!!! Deepa ji it has come up very beautiful very nice ...........take care

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply superb...love the leaves...

    Prasanthi
    http://creativecrafts-arts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it wonderful to pick up a needle again after a time away? I see that you have lost none of your skill with a needle. Your design is delightful and the stitching is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting... It is simply superb...!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow
    It looks fentastic. After reading only it does know kamalkadai else it looks so new.
    viji

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you know of any instructional books on this technique? I googled but could only find books that talked about its history. I would really like to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you Deepa... glad to see you at least feel up to getting back into your stitching, you are so inspiring and generous in your sharing. Wonderful as usual. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey deepa,hope ur feeling well.I love Kamal kadhai,dint know its called by this name.I am going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you are back to stitching! Looking forward to the revised pic (liked the one you did, and wonder what was missing? it looked good to me)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely. this technique is new to me, but I really like the results.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad to see you back, Deepa! I have been hoping for your return. Your work is lovely. I adore the weaving on the flowers ... so delightfully dimensional. Welcome back to blog-land

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am happy to see you are come back and wlaking to 100% well!!
    Great work ... like very much your "Anturios" here in Brazil..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Take care Deepa!! Thinking of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome back, Deepa, I missed you and your lovely embroideries.
    This technique is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful work. I love the weaving on the flowers.

    Take good care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Desejo a você e seus familiares Feliz Natal e um Próspero Ano Novo, que Deus proporcione muito amor, saúde, paz e felicidades.
    Estes são os meus votos.
    Bjs

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment