Some lovely tutorials

Hi everyone,

The Dussehra festival is over and now we're eagerly waiting for Diwali to burst crackers and light the diyas around the house. We had been to my inlaws place in Kanyakumari for a short trip and came back last week. Iam nursing a sprained neck and can look around only if I turn myself completely ;) So, minimal embroidery for some days.
In the meanwhile,I roamed around the big web and found some lovely tutorials.These are some stuff which I hope to attempt some time in the future (??)

Have you ever tried embroidering buttons? I've not, but I do wish to make some somewhere down the line. Have a look at Katy's dropped a bag of french knots tutorial and see what she has come up with.I love that button on her skirt!!!

At crabapplehillstudio , you'll find a lovely wagon with pumpkins free pattern and tutorial for English daisies .

Everytime I see a stitched tote or a bag , I miss having a sewing machine. But when saw this handsewn coin purse and handbag from an old linen pant, I was excited. Have to try this one .

And finally, a very old tutorial on shadow applique which has caught my fancy. Ofcourse , I need to find a way to do it by hand . Can we try fabric glue instead of fusible webbing?

Let me leave you with a picture of an almost 1000 year old carving we came across while walking around the Thirparappu temple in Kanyakumari. Although there are lots of posts and pictures of the temple and the waterfall behind, I couldn't find this pic anywhere. Probably because most people miss it since it is on the pavement . Everyone expects the carvings and sculptures on the walls,right?

The myth behind this carving is interesting - this one was supposed to be magical. The snake used to inch closer to the frog periodically.It was believed that the day the snake reaches the frog,the world will end !! And look what we intelligent Indians did ?? Notice the gap??
Now the snake will never catch the little froggie :)
Thank us, coz we saved the world!!! :)))

That's all for now,
Love,luck and sunshine,
Deepa


Comments

  1. thank u deepa for these links its very simple and easy... i like that pant bag.. i too stitched a small hand bag with my hubby's thorn pant.. and i loved it... get well soon egerly waiting for ur embroidery posts

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh god someone noticed it on the pavement and did the needful otherwise..........:):)

    take care of your neck. take good rest.

    thanks for the links deepas. good ones.

    regards
    anitha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the carving and the story - thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a lovely blog here...the embroidery you do is beautiful.I do a little bit of appliqué myself...just a teeny weeny bit...(some are here at http://weecrafts.blogspot.com/2010/10/baby-dress-embroidery.html ) and you dont really need fusible webbing...at least not the double sided kind...I use what is sold under the name of plastic canvas in India..a one sided iron on paper...iron it on to the cloth that I cut out... attach it to the base fabric with pins and use blanket stitch...for the shadow embroidery you mentioned,I guess you could do the same.. pin through all three layers...the outline stitch should hold it in place

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Deepa..
    I love the story of the snake and frog,and it all turn out good. I do love frogs and have a few here in display. Thanks for the story.
    Laurette

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment